RAS Discussion Forums
August 14, 2020, 11:28:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Band? New Album?  (Read 36487 times)
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »

Jeremy and I are thinking about finally recording a fully collaborative studio album as a band.  Why now?  We'd like to do it before we grow old and shrivel away.  But of course this is all tentative.

The deal is that we need a band name.  I thought it would be fun to take some suggestions from you guys.  Any thoughts?
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »

http://www.request-a-song.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77
Nate_Derringer
Grandmaster Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »

What about keeping the initials RAS and choosing new meanings for them:
Radical Alien Supporters
Rightious Aardvark Stealers
Rediculous Apple Slicers
Reticulated Army Spiders

I dunno, those are silly, but you get my point?

What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like OMG thats lame I want dad made out of ninja robots! - We ran out of CD space by Psychostick
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »

Quote from: "Nate_Derringer"
What about keeping the initials RAS and choosing new meanings for them:
Radical Alien Supporters
Rightious Aardvark Stealers
Rediculous Apple Slicers
Reticulated Army Spiders

I dunno, those are silly, but you get my point?

I actually thought of that once and I didn't come up with anything cool.  Any other ideas?
Tazmanian_Angel
Master Non-Slouch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »

Do you want a fully marketable band name, such as one that would make sense on Radio play? Or would you go for a more random, possibly silly, but not neccessarily so, name?

ama don't let your babies grow up to be polar bears.
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »

Quote from: "Tazmanian_Angel"
Do you want a fully marketable band name, such as one that would make sense on Radio play? Or would you go for a more random, possibly silly, but not neccessarily so, name?

I dunno.  I doubt that we'll ever be even remotely mainstream or commercially successful, so I guess it doesn't matter.  But just give me anything you've got!

P.S. Glad you're still around, Taz.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »

This is why I should not be absent from this place for extended periods of time.  I need to know about things like this immediately!

Possible names

RAS themed:

Really Annoying Songs
Rodents Are Sanguine
Radar Audi Superstrong
Rooks At Sundown
Righteous Anarchy Soldiers
Rich Adamantium Soup
Rice Art Sculpturing
Rice Amounts Sulfur
Rice Actually Sodium
Rice Allowed, Superman!
Rice Ain't Scottish
Rice Advanced Society
Rice About Sam
Registered Almanac Sequencer

Possible Mainstream

Slicehound (Sadly, this is not my own original idea)
Orange Month (Again, not my idea)
Aquasonic
Tympanica

OK if I have more I'll post them later.

ason

"We're going to make airplanes out of beef."
- Alex Lifeson
OVNS
Offical Non-Slouch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:02:44 PM »

These were mine:
Rice Art Sculpturing
Rice Ain't Scottish
Slicehound
Orange Month

I was going to add some more myself here, but I'm all out of tricks.  I wish you luck in all future endevours!
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »

Stop taking credit for Slicehound, you know damn well that isn't yours!

ason

- Alex Lifeson
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »

"And introducing...Slicehound!"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sounds like a name that would be popular in China.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:24:42 AM »

So what is the status of this production?  Are you going to do all new, original work for it, or just record your old stuff?  Any idea how many songs you'll have?

ason

- Alex Lifeson
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »

Quote from: "Jason"
So what is the status of this production?  Are you going to do all new, original work for it, or just record your old stuff?  Any idea how many songs you'll have?

We'll record everything fresh, and I doubt we'll re-record old songs.  Maybe a couple, but the focus will be on all-new music.  Well, some of the music will be old, of course (written years ago), but never before recorded or released.

Jeremy and I are still in a "preliminary phase," kicking around ideas and waiting to be magically motivated / in the mood to actually take some real action.  The fact that the audience for our new music will probably be counted merely in the dozens does give me some pause, and that means the only real motivation to get anything done will be the drive and desire to do music again for ourselves, and enjoy it.  After writing/recording/producing music constantly nearly every day of the week for about 3-4 years, though, I'm kind of burned out on it.  Still, I feel slight tremors of a resurgence coming on.  I'm not sure when exactly it will surface, but I believe that the desire to write and record new music is still in me somewhere.  Hopefully you'll all still be alive and young enough to enjoy it whenever it gets recorded!

Benj
jamuko
Offical Non-Slouch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:44:16 AM »

Oooh, this is exciting. *_* I always thought you guys had the potential to do a regular album.

I honestly think Violent House Panda would make an amazing radio song as is. XD

Hmm, come to think of it, how would Violent House Panda do as a band name? I'm no good with naming things, but that one is intriguing and strange enough. Plus, you'd already have a theme song!

I also really like the idea of keeping the RAS initials, but I can't think of anything good for it to expand to either. Unless you just leave it mysteriously as RAS with no explanation.

arrel! X3
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »

Quote from: "jamuko"
Oooh, this is exciting. *_* I always thought you guys had the potential to do a regular album.

I honestly think Violent House Panda would make an amazing radio song as is. XD

Hmm, come to think of it, how would Violent House Panda do as a band name? I'm no good with naming things, but that one is intriguing and strange enough. Plus, you'd already have a theme song!

I also really like the idea of keeping the RAS initials, but I can't think of anything good for it to expand to either. Unless you just leave it mysteriously as RAS with no explanation.

I thought about doing both of those suggestions once.  Jeremy might be open to use "Violent House Panda" as a band name.  I have always been a little weary about it because of the word "violent" in the title...it might put a weird image of us out there since we're not violent people. Smiley  Obviously, it doesn't has to represent us, but most people aren't ready for that kind of weirdness...as we found with RAS in general.

And as far as "RAS" goes, I think we should probably distance ourselves from that name, as it has not really served us very well in the past.  Got any other name ideas?

Thanks for the feedback, jamuko.  Really glad you're still around and supporting us!

Benj
Nate_Derringer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

Hey, what about the violent femmes, I don't think that they are violent.

What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like OMG thats lame I want dad made out of ninja robots! - We ran out of CD space by Psychostick
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: