RAS Discussion Forums
August 14, 2020, 12:10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you were a song...  (Read 11360 times)
Doraemon
Grandmaster Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004, 01:49:16 PM »

which would you be? (RAS and others)

I decided that if I was to ever have a theme tune it would probably be Goldfrapp's Oompa Radar...because it's got uplifting bits, drama, theatrics, mystique, pathos and is also quite humourous. Much like my life - or anybodys life for that matter, I suppose. It's an instrumental, so not really a song, but for the purpose of this we'll allow tunes too....
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 03:25:19 PM »

I'd definitely be "Time Out For Fun" by Devo!
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 05:12:51 PM »

Quote from: "Derwood Bowen"
I'd definitely be "Time Out For Fun" by Devo!

I didn't know you were such a Devo fan, Derwood.  That's awesome.  What's your favorite album of theirs?

While it would be fun to be a Devo song, I think I'd like to be something really long, so I can live a long time.  Cool   Other than that, I think it'd be cool to be "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Benj
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 12:51:44 PM »

I don't know what my favorite Devo album is.  Freedom of Choice and Oh no, it's Devo are my top 2.  Those are a lot of fun.  Though New Traditionalists isn't too bad either.

But yeah, I'm pretty big on Devo right now.
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 04:11:44 PM »

I don't know what my favorite Devo album is.  Freedom of Choice and Oh no, it's Devo are my top 2.  Those are a lot of fun.  Though New Traditionalists isn't too bad either.

Their first 5 albums are solid "awesome."  After that they started to really slip.  It's interesting to trace their progression from a new-wavey punk band with real instruments to a more electronic, synthesized sound.  "Duty Now for the Future" is great too.  You should check it out.  I love all those you mentioned as well.

Benj
buckshotbinladen
Grandmaster Non-Slouch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 04:31:47 PM »

I think I would most likely be "Christf*ck" by :Wumpscut: for reasons I feel should never ever be explained.

ww.thedeafbeats.tk
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 03:20:26 PM »

Quote from: "Benj"

Their first 5 albums are solid "awesome."  After that they started to really slip.  It's interesting to trace their progression from a new-wavey punk band with real instruments to a more electronic, synthesized sound.  "Duty Now for the Future" is great too.  You should check it out.  I love all those you mentioned as well.

Benj

What I think happened to them after the first 5 albums is they ran into trouble with MTV (Due to some of the content within the videos, like the french fry and donut in "That's Good.")  From that, it kind of decreased their exposure to the world, so they went to making less creative and more what seemed like typical 80's albums then in the hopes they'd become popular again, and that's what ultimately became their decline.  After the 6th album Shout, they lost their contract with Warner Bros. and had to sign onto a smalltime label called Enigma records, where they recorded their last 2 albums, which hardly anybody knows anything about.

It's really too bad, because Devo had so much capability to be so creative, and they gave it up to try to do what they thought would make them popular, not what made them popular in the first place (with the song "Whip It.")

On an unrelated note, welcome back buckshotbinladen.
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »

It's really too bad, because Devo had so much capability to be so creative, and they gave it up to try to do what they thought would make them popular, not what made them popular in the first place (with the song "Whip It.")

On an unrelated note, welcome back buckshotbinladen.

Yeah, but I'm not complaining.  5 really good, solid albums (if you're a DEVO fan) over the span of 5 years is an incredible achievement.  They've left us with a lot of good music to enjoy.  They came at the right time, ran their course, then ran out of steam.  But that's fine -- they still pulled of a ton of really creative and original stuff.

Benj
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 03:18:25 PM »

There's rare compilations called "Hardcore Devo," which has a Vol. 1 and a Vol. 2.  This contains stuff they did before they got their record contract, like, back when they were in college in the early 70's.  I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm sure it's bound to be pretty good.

You might try looking for them at gemm.com
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:31:41 AM »

There's rare compilations called "Hardcore Devo," which has a Vol. 1 and a Vol. 2.  This contains stuff they did before they got their record contract, like, back when they were in college in the early 70's.  I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm sure it's bound to be pretty good.

You might try looking for them at gemm.com

I have "Hardcore Devo Vol. 1."  It's worth getting if you're into DEVO.  There are some excellent standout songs on there that aren't on anything else, like "S00 Balls" and "Social Fools."  The other songs are priceless raw gems, also worth listening to.  The original 4-track versions of "Satisfaction," "Jocko Homo," and "Mongoloid" are on there as well.  Great stuff; check it out.  Your parents might not like the cover though.

Benj
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 03:05:58 PM »

I've seen the cover on a DEVO fan website.  Yeah, the cover is a bit...  not G-rated perhaps.  And I've listened to 30-second samples of each song, there are some pretty not G-rated songs on Vol. 2 as well.  Plus a similar sort of cover.
Nate_Derringer
Grandmaster Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 10:46:37 PM »

I would be either "the man with glooey hands" by the aquabats
or
"but why is it so cold" by the dacamillo sisters just because I would love to be the unholy spawn of brandon decamillo, bam margera, and jimmy pop. please don't ask me who they are, because if you don't know that is very sad.

What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like OMG thats lame I want dad made out of ninja robots! - We ran out of CD space by Psychostick
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 03:16:47 PM »

Quote from: "Nate Derringer"
I would be either "the man with glooey hands" by the aquabats
or
"but why is it so cold" by the dacamillo sisters just because I would love to be the unholy spawn of brandon decamillo, bam margera, and jimmy pop. please don't ask me who they are, because if you don't know that is very sad.

Okay, then someone else answer.  Who are they?
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 02:29:09 PM »

Okay, then someone else answer.  Who are they?

I don't know. I guess I'm sad.
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 03:22:49 PM »

That sucks.

Anyone else know AND is willing to answer?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: