RAS Discussion Forums
January 18, 2020, 09:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 71143 times)
Doraemon
Grandmaster Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2005, 01:55:34 PM »

Just been to see "Howl's Moving Castle" - the new film by japanese animator and creator of Spirited Away, Mr. *something* Miyazaki  Smiley

The ending is unusually weak by his high standards, but it's an absolute dream to watch, and more ambitious in many ways than Spirited Away. See it if you like your movies quirky and more than a little hallucigenic. The English dub has Billy Crystal providing the voice of a talking flame. You think I'm making this up, don't you?  Cheesy
Ashley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2005, 03:56:31 PM »

I read the book when I was like. 11.

Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2005, 04:22:44 PM »

Quote from: "Doraemon"
The English dub has Billy Crystal providing the voice of a talking flame.

Talking flames are awesome.

Benj
Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2005, 01:14:56 PM »

I noticed we are being very friendly to the movies we mention in this thread. Allow me to break the trend. I've just seen Serenity and I thought it was a bit crap, really. Not because it is a bad movie, per se, but it's just one of the most badly-written movies i've seen in ages. Coupled with unremarkable acting...actually - erase and rewind cos i've been changin' my mind - it is a bad movie; certainly not one without the potential to be good, but i can only go on what has been presented to me. Its basically a made-for-TV sci-fi series given a little bit of a budget hike (not one that you'll really notice much) and stuck on cinema screens. The script is cheesy, and desperately, desperately wants to be witty but this only amounts to half-baked sarcasm that sounds like its coming out of the mouth of some tiresomely bratty, cynical teenager.  Infact the whole thing could have been written by the same dumb, teenage vegetable. This is a world where the pilots of the (pretty unimpressive, while we're at it) spaceships say stuff like "I fly like the eagle" or some suvh gubbins and everyone keeps that stern milataristic face which everone will aparantly be forced to adopt at all times in the future. They've tried (unsucessfully) to bring in a Wild West element, which only amounts to the fact that the characters land on desertland occasionally and suddenly start talking like cowboys. A lot of the action centers around a girl who just goes nutzoid with kung fu ocasionally, while other characters are conveniently pushed aside somehow or, at worst, just sit there wondering what to do. The storyline is pretty forgettable, and will be pretty familiar to anyone who has seen Danny Boyle's zombie film (I foget the name) or perhaps any other science fiction film ever made.

But generally I liked it.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2005, 07:47:20 AM »

Saw Waiting. yesterday.  Basically it was Clerks set in a restaurant.  Apparently it is getting terrible reviews, but I thought it was extremely funny.  

I'm setting the trend back after Doraemon's abherration.

ason

"We're going to make airplanes out of beef."
- Alex Lifeson
Ashley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2005, 08:08:20 PM »

Watched Beauty and the Beast last night.  That was tohtally my favourite moving when I was little.  I can see why.

Tonight, I watch bambi!

(... I'm in a new house.  We have no cable.  I'm following my friend's example and watching disney movies the entire time.)

Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2005, 11:41:12 AM »

Quote from: "Ashley"

(... I'm in a new house.  We have no cable.  I'm following my friend's example and watching disney movies the entire time.)

Good plan. Try and fit some Miyazaki movies in there too.
Ashley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2005, 09:27:19 PM »

Watched Bambi, tohtally my other favourite disney movie when I was a kid.  Also watched the fox and the hound.
My brother's favourite disney movie.

Now I actually have the interweb in my house so I don't need to watch movies anymore.  Poor disney.

Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 10:37:28 AM »

Watched Bambi, tohtally my other favourite disney movie when I was a kid.  Also watched the fox and the hound.
My brother's favourite disney movie.

Now I actually have the interweb in my house so I don't need to watch movies anymore.  Poor disney.

Disney movies scare me.  I watched "The Royal Tenebaums" for the first time recently and thought it was brilliant.

Benj
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2005, 07:16:57 AM »

Saw Serenity yesterday.  If you watched the show Firefly then you should absolutely go see it.  Outstanding movie.  Joss Whedon continues to impress me.

ason

"We're going to make airplanes out of beef."
- Alex Lifeson
Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2005, 10:48:35 AM »

Quote from: "Jason"
Saw Serenity yesterday.  If you watched the show Firefly then you should absolutely go see it.  Outstanding movie.  Joss Whedon continues to impress me.

Compare and contrast with opinion above Smiley

I'm sorry, dear, but you are terribly wrong. Wink
Ashley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2005, 11:53:38 AM »

Monty Python's Holy Grail, and various skits have been playing in my house for about the past three days.  
But I sit -behind- the tv, so I can't really say I watched them.

Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »

Monty Python's Holy Grail, and various skits have been playing in my house for about the past three days.  
But I sit -behind- the tv, so I can't really say I watched them.

You can just say you heard them.

Benj
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2005, 04:27:30 PM »

Monty Python is funny!

Unrelated to Monty Python, guess what song I heard on Dr. Demento's radio show today!  "Big Fat Road Manager!"
Ashley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2005, 09:08:48 PM »

Yay!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: