RAS Discussion Forums
August 12, 2020, 01:06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forum.  All your account info is the same, and new users are welcome!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 75568 times)
Doraemon
Grandmaster Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2004, 06:24:53 AM »

What movies have you seen lately? What's your favourite movie ever?
I can't decide on a favourite, Ed Wood springs to mind. I just bought a DVD of a great Japanese animation called Spirited Away. That film is a mesterpiece. Even if you think you hate the genre, give that a try, it just might change your opinion. If only all Japanimation was that good.
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »

I recently watched "Star Trek: First Contact" for the first time in many years, and I liked it much better than the last time I saw it.  "Star Trek: Generations" didn't fare as well, however.

A few of my all time favorite movies are Ghostbusters, The Empire Strikes Back, and Big Trouble in Little China.

Benj
Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 01:33:26 PM »

Anyone interested in the best-forgotten history of sci-fi should check out Ed Wood, a film about an incompetant film director with all the charisma and enthusiasm of Speilberg, just none of the talent  Cheesy
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 01:56:40 PM »

Quote from: "Doraemon"
Anyone interested in the best-forgotten history of sci-fi should check out Ed Wood, a film about an incompetant film director with all the charisma and enthusiasm of Speilberg, just none of the talent  Cheesy

I saw Ed Wood a couple of years ago.  I thought it was pretty cool.  Especially how he was friends with an aged Bella Legosi (or was it another old horror movie star?).   What are some of your favorite movies, Doraemon?
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 02:20:06 PM »

I recently saw "Passion of the Christ."  It's something to think about when it's over, it may or may not change your life.
Nate_Derringer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 02:30:36 PM »

I really didn't like "the passion". I did however like south parks episode about the passion, if you didn't catch it try to see it when they play it again sometime. As far as favorite movies go i'd say "bubba ho-tep" is one of the best movies i've seen in a while. It comes to dvd in may if you havn't heard of it. It stars bruce campbell of "army of darkness" fame. He plays a retired elvis living in an old folks home who has to battle an evil mummy whos feeding on the elderly. Classic, you can't get better than that.

What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like OMG thats lame I want dad made out of ninja robots! - We ran out of CD space by Psychostick
Benj
RAS Artist
Derwood Approximi

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 05:44:47 PM »

Quote from: "Nate_Derringer"
I really didn't like "the passion". I did however like south parks episode about the passion, if you didn't catch it try to see it when they play it again sometime. As far as favorite movies go i'd say "bubba ho-tep" is one of the best movies i've seen in a while. It comes to dvd in may if you havn't heard of it. It stars bruce campbell of "army of darkness" fame. He plays a retired elvis living in an old folks home who has to battle an evil mummy whos feeding on the elderly. Classic, you can't get better than that.

That's cool about the Bubba Ho-Tep DVD, as I really want to see it.  Bruce Campbell is awesome in Army Of Darkness.  I read some review somwhere that said that Bruce Campbell did the best Elvis impersonation he'd ever seen.

Benj
Nate_Derringer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 12:21:26 AM »

Yes he does a good elvis impersonation, and because I am on the street team for my town, I suppose I should let you know that on the dvd there will be a couple of commentarys on of which will be done by bruce cambell as elvis, thats right, an elvis commentary as well as one by bruce as himself. Sound awesome? You betcha! you should check out www.bubbaho-tep.com for more info!

What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like OMG thats lame I want dad made out of ninja robots! - We ran out of CD space by Psychostick
Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 01:18:38 PM »

Just took my grandma and mum to see a zombie movie  :lol: Don't think they apprieciated it  :? - Shaun of the Dead - it was billed as a "romantic comedy with zombies" I thought "ah, comedy, nice light-hearted stuff". I was not expecting a film which is basically made up of two halves; the rom com bit and the gorefest that followed. Well, I enjoyed it.  Cheesy

To answer your question, Benj, some of my favourite films:

Adaptation - probably the cleverist script of any film I've seen.
Edward Scissorhands - Yep, I'm a Burton fan. Beautiful film.
Metropolis - Both the original and the Japanese animated film thats inspired by it. The original amazes me even now. It's still pretty breathtaking for a 1927 film.
Fight Club - It's not just fighting. See it.
Pi - About a mathematician driven mad by the demands of his intelligence. Like a much darker "A Beautiful Mind".
Amelie - A french movie - the ultimate feel good film. And, come to think of it, there aren't many of those in my DVD collection.
AKIRA - Mushroom clouds. technology out of control, social unrest, and an unstereotypical female lead, deep philosophical questions - Most of these have become a Japanimation cliche, I suppose, but this is where it started, and this is when people started to take note of the genre. Also has kung fu. ON BIKES!
The Man Who Wasn't There - A modern subversion of the 50's gangster film. Great photography.
Dogma - Everyone misunderstands this film. People say it's anti-Catholic. But if you pay close attention it reinforces the Bible's messages. It's just putting them in another form so people of today will notice. Admitedy Kevin Smith's approach is unconventional, but after all, he is a deeply religious person.

*phew*
That's enough to keep you busy for a while.
orosaa
Grandmaster Non-Slouch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 11:11:14 AM »

The Road Home - a subtitled Chinese movie
Shall We Dance? - a subtitled Japanese movie
Master and Commander - It made no money because it was too boring for an action movie and had no women in it.  But even flawed, it's WAY better than the last two LOTR's.

Hey, Ed Wood fans!  Are you also Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans?  They did a lot of Wood's movies.
Derwood Bowen
Derwood Approximi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 01:58:32 PM »

How about Monty Python?  Nobody's talked about Monty Python movies in this thread, I don't think.

I've seen Holy Grail and Meaning of Life, and enjoyed both of them.  I've also seen Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, All 3 Austin Powers movies, even Dude, Where's my car?, among others.
Doraemon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 02:49:24 PM »

Ah, Monty Python. You should check out the TV series too. The films and the TV series make for a quotable line count that has only been rivalled by the Simpsons.

The director of the MP films, Terry Gilliam,  is filming the Brothers Grimm, after a failed attempt at filming Don Quixote which you can watch and weep at in the cringingly funny documentary "Lost in La Mancha". It was a filming atempt where anything that could go wrong, did. You kind of feel sorry for him at the end.

What's the worst film you've seen? For me it's proberly Avalon, The Trial or Dominator
Watch at your peril.

Among the best films I've seen recently though are Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2. Has anyone else seen these?
Jeremy
RAS Artist
Intrepid RAS Forum Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 04:34:42 PM »

Just off hand, some of my top favorites are Star Wars, The Big Lebowski, The Abyss, Groundhog Day, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Shining, and Caddyshack.
imjustaguy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »

The Goonies and Indiana Jones!

only look like a genius.
orosaa
Grandmaster Non-Slouch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 11:32:24 AM »

The worst films?  I recently suffered through Face/Off, and they've been playing a lot of Steven Segal movies on tv.

Today's new favorite is Contact.

Does no one like MST3K?  Eegah?  Manos, Hands of Fate?  Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?  ^_^
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: